Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Gooey Brownie in a Flaky Pastry Crust... Um, Sure, I Can Eat That...


If you have ever wondered what a brownie wrapped in a pie shell was like, make a Tarheel Pie.  This recipe was presented to me by my husband’s Aunt Monica.  Two Christmases ago, she baked this pie and I did not get to try it because the fruit side of me won over the chocolate side.  Instead of trying the Tarheel Pie, I opted for Aunt Monica’s Apple Pie (absolutely divine!).  Since that day, however, I have thought about the pie I had missed.  So during Week 12, I decided to discover for myself the joy of a Tarheel Pie.

For the crust, I used Grandma’s oil crust.  I had read the directions for the pie earlier in the week and since they seemed simple enough, I thought I would not over-complicate it by making a crust that would require refrigeration or freezing.  On top of that, I had run a half-marathon the day before I made the pie and any amount of work was sounding like too much work.  

Chocolate goodness coming up! 

The crust was ready and in the pie pan in about five minutes and the filling took about the same amount of time.  Easy!  My only complaint with this pie was that I probably over-baked it.  The recipe calls for 30-40 minutes of bake time and I was wanting my crust to brown a little more, so I left it in for the full 40 minutes.  The pie was still very tasty, but not as gooey as it could have been had I heeded the warning to not over-bake it! 

Chocolate and melted butter... a great way to start!

Mixing the rest of the ingredients

Ready to bake

Tar Heel Pie

That said, if you need a chocolaty dessert with little prep time, this pie may just fit the bill.  In fact, I pretty well finished this pie on my own… yikes….  Be warned!

No comments:

Post a Comment