Monday, February 18, 2013

Mouth-Watering Mid-Winter Pot Pie


Since it is mid-winter, I felt that the pie for Week 13 might be most suited as a savory pie.  It was time to try a pot pie and the New Best Recipe Cookbook had just the one to try: Chicken Pot Pie with Bacon and Corn.  My mouth was watering just reading the title. 

This recipe gave the option of using a savory pie dough topping or fluffy buttermilk biscuit topping.  Well, when I am given the choice between a traditional crust for a pot pie or homemade fluffy, buttery biscuit topping… I can tell you that I will always choose buttermilk biscuits!

Buttermilk biscuits begin with butter...

Rather than a traditional pot pie with carrots and peas, I opted for a recipe with bacon and corn, which turned out to be an excellent decision. 

Pot pie vegetables, with the exception of the corn to come later
Bacon, perhaps the most important ingredient!
Chicken simmering

Having never made a pot pie before, the process seemed a bit lengthy for a midweek dinner for the family, although the end result was incredible.  The recipe does offer some options for making this more manageable, allowing one to make both the biscuits and the filling in advance, so it certainly could be doable if one uses the advanced preparation options.   

Also as a family with young children, an 8 x 13 –inch pan was going to be more than we could eat, so I used two 8 x 8-inch pans for the recipe and froze one for a dinner later on.  This worked well, and made the second meal incredibly fast and easy. 

One Chicken Pot Pie ready to be baked
The consensus from my family was unanimous: AMAZING!  The bacon and corn were a nice spin from a traditional pot pie and a huge hit with my 3 ½ year-old son.  The biscuits were to die for.  Again, this Chicken Pot Pie with Bacon and Corn recipe was AMAZING and my family will be enjoying this one time and time again for years to come.

Final product before it was devoured


No comments:

Post a Comment