Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Potluck Pie


During the fifth Sunday of December, my church was having a day of Worship Through Action, in which we would put together crisis care kits to be sent all over the nation/globe during major catastrophes (i.e. hurricanes, tsunamis, earthquakes, etc.) , followed by a time of potluck fellowship.  My go-to on these pie adventures has been dessert pies, so I thought I would break my pattern and bring a brunch-type pie: Three Cheese and Onion Pie. 

The recipe I selected comes from a new cookbook I received for Christmas entitled, Cutie Pies.  The author of this cookbook is the owner of a pie shop, High 5 Pie, and a couple of coffeehouses, Fuel Coffee, in the greater Seattle area.  One of the interesting things about this particular pie cookbook is the variety of options that are held within.  Each recipe can be made into a variety of forms—Cutie Pies made in standard muffin pans, Petit-5s made in mini muffin pans, Pie Jars made in small jam-type jars, Flipsides formed like a pocket, Piepops made on a stick, and Full-Sized Pies made in a traditional 9-inch pie pan. 

With the new cookbook, came a new recipe for an all-butter crust, so I gave this a try.  This first time around I made the crust by hand, not my food processor, and found that I may not have mixed it thoroughly enough as well as let it get too warm because it was very sticky when I rolled it out.  The next time I will definitely try my food processor for the mixing and not letting the dough sit out for more than ten minutes before I get rolling.

The filling was very simple and I had two Three Cheese and Onion Pies ready to bake in no time at all. 

Final product?  Apart from baking the pie for an additional 10-15 minutes longer than the recipe indicated, delicious.  This was a great variation from my usual dessert pie and a success at the church potluck.  As long as you can handle a strong onion flavor, this is your pie.  

Perfect for a brunch

No comments:

Post a Comment