Wednesday, January 9, 2013

When Healthier Does Not Mean Better


When blackberries go on sale in the middle of winter, at $0.88 per container, it is time to make Blackberry Pie.  So during week 9, that is what I set out to do.  My recipe for Blackberry Pie came from Berry Fruit Pie recipe from  the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. 

I had loads of blackberries on hand and all of the other ingredients I needed.  Or so I thought.  I mixed up my blackberries with sugar, flour, and lemon zest.  My filling was ready.  I started to mix up my double crust, using Grandma’s oil crust, and sure enough my flour was going to only be able to make a single crust pie.  Rather than frogging the whole pie, I pulled out my whole wheat flour, thinking that I might be able to make a tasty (and healthier) pie by using whole wheat flour for half of the desired flour. 

Blackberries, sugar, flour, and lemon zest


Half all-purpose flour and half whole wheat flour crust


Bottom crust filled


The pie looked delicious going in and coming out of the oven.  The crust formed nicely and browned evenly.  The filling bubbled just so as I set it on the cooling rack.  Whole wheat crust?  No problem, I thought.  This pie was going to be delicious. 

What looked like a delicious pie... do not be decieved!

Wrong.

I LOVE berry pies, particularly blackberry.  This pie was ruined by its crust.  I am certain there are others out there that can manage a whole wheat crust that actually tastes nice, but this was the antithesis of what pie is about.  Perhaps Grandma’s oil crust is not meant for healthy pie.  Perhaps blackberries and whole wheat flour should not be combined.  Whatever it was… I do not want to repeat it. 

Lesson learned:  when you run out of all-purpose white flour, get up and go to the store and buy more before making a Blackberry Pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment