Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Now I Understand Why


Lemon Blueberry Pie was the short order for Week 16.  Blueberries were on sale for a spectacular price, so another pie featuring the delightful berry seemed an easy choice.  The recipe comes from the Cutie Pies cookbook.

For the crust I chose to follow the recipe for All-Butter Crust from the Cutie Pies cookbook as I am becoming increasingly fond of this simple to make and simply delicious crust.  For the last month or so I have been using this crust and it is with reserve, and delicacy, that I am venturing to say that it may be my favorite crust yet.  Grandma’s Oil Crust has, and will always remain, one of my favorite crust recipes, but I believe it may have finally met its match.  Hopefully, if Grandma reads this blog entry, she will forgive me this betrayal and accept a homemade pie of her choice the next time we are together as payoff for such a breach in loyalty....

The filling for this pie was very simple, and the whole pie was prepared, baked and cooling by the time I was on my way to church this particular Sunday morning. 

The recipe leaves the option to leave the pie open-faced or put a crumb topping on.  I opted for the crumb topping.  The only other time I have had a blueberry pie it did not have the addition of lemon and was prepared with a double-crust.  The flavor of that first pie decent, but I felt it was missing something.  So with this pie I had my hopes on brightening the flavor with the lemon and the sweet crumb topping. 

Our visiting friends were not disappointed.  This Lemon Blueberry Pie was delicious.  The addition of lemon perked up the pie and made my taste buds pop.  The crumb topping further enhanced the pie by providing a melt-in-your-mouth finish.

Not many leftovers this week!
To all of my friends who have always loved Blueberry Pies… now I understand why.

No comments:

Post a Comment