Friday, March 15, 2013

How To Be Objective When Your Taste Buds are Screaming Ewww



During Week 17 I hit upon another “first” in my pie-making.  Prior to this week I had never tasted or baked a Pecan Pie, of any sort.  Growing up I tended to avoid all things nut, whether in the form of pie or cookies, or just for plain for snacking.  I had an opportunity to try a Pecan Pie nearly every Thanksgiving of my childhood, but alas I avoided it until now, near the end of my 32nd year. 

With this confession at hand, readers, I must also admit that I know not what a good Pecan Pie should taste like or what its texture should feel like, so I had no idea what I was getting myself into by making a Sugar Free Pecan Pie over a traditional Pecan Pie. 

I was set on making a pie for my Father In-Law, who does not eat sugar, and also wanted to make a sugar free pie that is not available at Marie Callendar’s.  The cookbooks I have in the house do not have recipes for sugar free pies, so I began to scour the internet for recipe options.  The recipe I found for Sugar Free Pecan Pie comes from Tablespoon.com.

For the crust I used a parbaked All-Butter Crust.

The filling was incredibly fast.  I mixed all the ingredients in a bowl, poured them in my crust, and baked for 50 minutes.  Should it have been this easy to make?  Are Pecan Pies this easy??  This pie was making a great first impression on me, even if it was to be short-lived. 

Fast filling
Oven-ready

Now when I took this Sugar Free Pecan Pie to my In-Laws’ house, I received nothing but praise from my Father In-Law.  My Mother In-Law also found it to be quite good.  My husband and I, on the other hand found the pie rather strange.  Since neither of us had experienced Pecan Pie before I feel a little wrong giving this pie completely bad marks just because of my uncertainty of the pie.  Here are my observations:
1.  
     The pie was squishy, like a cross between a gelatin and a pudding.  I was expecting a filling that was more solid and firm.
2.       The pecans had become chewy, even those that were sticking out of the top of the pie.  I was expecting them to be a little crispier—at least those on the surface of the pie.
3.       The pie was just sugary sweet tasting.  I was expecting more of the earthiness of the nuts to rise above the syrupy sweet flavor.
4.       The crust was awesome.

So whether my In-Laws were right on with their praise and I could not comprehend the true meaning of Pecan Pie, or whether my In-Laws were over generous with their praise and my husband and I were correct in our assessment of this pie, I may never know.  Now it is your turn.  If you have made a Pecan Pie before, try out this recipe for Sugar Free Pecan Pie and let me know your thoughts!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment