Thursday, December 6, 2012

Thankful for Pies that Delight

Week 6 happened to fall on Thanksgiving week.  I’ll give you one guess as to who was in charge of pies this year.  Not a brain-buster of an answer here.  With my pie project underway, I was more than happy to volunteer.  I had originally planned to make one of the pies a pumpkin, but when I learned that only one or two people really cared for pumpkin pie, I quickly changed my plans to engage a few more of the family in pie-tasting.  The short order: 1 AppleRaspberry Crumb Pie and 1 Nutter Butter Frozen Peanut Butter Pie.

The Apple Raspberry Crumb Pie recipe comes from the Fall 2007 Betty Crocker Fall Baking magazine (the little magazines sold at the checkout stand at grocery stores).  This was not a new pie for me to make, so I already knew what to expect and I tell you, it did NOT disappoint.  Last Thanksgiving when I made this pie for my family, I used Grandma’s oil crust.  This year to mix it up a little, I used the basic flaky piecrust recipe from Real Simple magazine.

The beginnings of Apple Raspberry Crumb Pie

By using the basic flaky piecrust recipe, I was able to make the crust of the pie the day before Thanksgiving, cover it with plastic wrap and keep it refrigerated overnight, taking some pressure off my time restraints on Thanksgiving Day.  When I got up on Thanksgiving, I sliced up the apples, tossed the apples in some sugar and spice, and was ready to fill my prepared piecrust. 

Sweetened apples... yum!

To fill the pie, I added the sweetened apples as a base layer.  Then, I topped the apples with raspberries.  With the raspberries in place, I crumbled almond paste over the top of the raspberries.  Finally, I capped off the pie by sprinkling a crumb topping, consisting of flour, sugar, butter, and almonds to the top.

Layered goodness: apples, raspberries, almond paste.

Crumb topping mixed and ready

The Nutter Butter Frozen Peanut Butter Pie recipe comes from the 2003 A Taste of Kansas City: Then and Now cookbook.  This was the fastest pie I have made to date (freezing time not included).  The crust consisted of crushed Nutter Butter cookies and melted butter mixed and then pressed into the pie pan.  The filling was peanut butter, cream cheese, sugar, vanilla extract, and whipped topping.  Had I not been taking 
pictures between the various stages, this pie could have been ready to be put in the freezer in ten minutes!

The makings of Nutter Butter Frozen Peanut Butter Pie

Making Nutter Butter crust
 
 
This may look like a crumby crust, but don't be deceived!

How did these two very different pies turn out, you ask?  Divine!  I am not a great fan of peanut butter (nor am I a foe), but the Nutter Butter Frozen Peanut Butter Pie was a delicious peanut butter pie.  The next time I make this pie, I will drizzle a little chocolate on the plate, as the recipe suggested.  The pie was relatively rich, so I would also suggest a cup of coffee or a glass of milk to balance the richness.

 
Nutter Butter Frozen Peanut Butter Pie

The Apple Raspberry Crumb Pie was nothing less of superb for me.  Throw a few of my favorite fruits in a pie crust with almonds and we are already on the right track.  Throw in a little almond paste… ooh, need I go on?  This pie was awesome.  

Apple Raspberry Crumb Pie


No comments:

Post a Comment