Monday, November 26, 2012

Company Pie

The pie I made for the fifth week was a Raspberry ButtermilkPie.  This pie was pulled together last minute, while most of my family had come down with head colds.  Needless to say, I was looking for a pie that I could make with only half of my brain alert.  My mom saved the day, so to speak, when she emailed me an article printed in the November 2012 issue of Real Simple magazine, entitled “10 ideas for: Pie”. 

Knowing that we were not going to be having guests over, due to the status of my family’s health, I was not overly worried about a clean kitchen or killing my friends with the germs that were so rampant around our house last weekend. 

Humble ingredients
For this pie I followed the basic flaky piecrust listed in the article, of which each of the 10 pies listed would use.  The crust was easy to make, flaky and buttery, and held up very well over the course of 2 days.  I par-baked it, as directed, as the filling also needed to be baked.   

The filling consisted of buttermilk sugar, flour, egg yolks, vanilla, and salt whisked together, poured into the pan, and baked.  Very simple. 

Buttermilk pie beginning to bake

After cooling on the counter for a couple hours, I chilled the pie in the refrigerator until we were ready to eat it.  The final step to this pie was to top it with 1/3 cup raspberry jam and ¼ cup toasted sliced almonds.

Topping with raspberry jam

End result topped with toasted sliced almonds

The verdict: two thumbs up from the family.  I was not really sure what the body of the pie would taste like, whether it would be gummy or custardy.  To my surprise the texture and flavor was a bit like eating cheesecake.  The thin layer of raspberry jam and sprinkled almonds were a perfect finish to a simple pie.  I will definitely be making Raspberry Buttermilk Pie again and next time we will have company.  

Happy taste-tester going for a hands-only approach.
Good pie.  Happy husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment