Saturday, November 10, 2012

I Thought I Saw A Graham Cracker In There



This third pie was made at the request of a new friend and his visiting girlfriend from Israel. 

I was excited to make a  Banana Cream Pie because I was going to try out a new pastry crust for the pie.  Typically I stick to my grandma’s oil crust, as I love its taste and texture.  However, as I was reading about some of the downfalls of cream pies being a crust that does not hold up when refrigerated, I knew this would be a great week to try out a new crust that had been tested by America’s Test Kitchen.  The consensus from their thorough testing is that a pastry crust rolled out on graham cracker crumbs would provide a more stable crust that could withstand refrigeration, without the sogginess that generally follows.

The crust did turn out quite magnificent, though the process was much more involved than my grandma’s crust, using both butter and shortening, and requiring both refrigeration time and freezer time.  The addition of the graham cracker crumbs added a nice flavor to the crust that complemented the filling well.  As for sogginess… there was none of that.  Even the second day! 
Complete pastry crust with graham cracker crumbs rolled in.
Homemade whipped cream.  Remind me why I ever buy the stuff in a can?
Ready to dish up!

The Banana Cream Pie was delicious and while I would not want to take the time for this particular crust on every pie, it did make a difference, and a notable one at that.  Our friends went away full and content.  I couldn't ask for more than that!

*As a side note, my 3 ½ year old son declared that his favorite part was not the crust or the filling, but the white stuff (homemade whipped cream) on top. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment